Reflection on PD Lab H&Ps

• What differences do you note between the two H&Ps?
    • One of the main differences that I have noted between my first and third H&P is the detail and depth of my HPI. Granted for the first one the patient had no current complaints, looking back I know believe that I should have gone in more depth in the patient’s past medical history and why they opted for surgery. I also see a difference when it comes to the medications portion. In my first H&P I forgot to log the route of administration for each medication. Compared to my third H&P, my first one has less personal information within regards the patient such as DOB, race, religion, and transportation to name a few.
  • In what ways has your history-taking improved?  Are you eliciting all the important information?
    • I believe that my history taking is more through and concise compared to how it was at the beginning of the course. When we first began taking H&Ps I feel as if I wanted to get as much information about everything and place everything into the HPI. Now I have come to realize everything does not need to go into the HPI, only aspects that relate to the reason for the current visit should be placed here. I do believe I am eliciting all the important information that the patient gives while learning how to place information that is of less importance in a section other than the HPI in my H&Ps.
  • In what ways has writing an HPI improved? (hint: look at the rubric scores)
    • As I stated earlier, I believe I am getting a better grasp of what information does belong in the HPI versus what does not. I struggled with this greatly at first because I assumed anything that the patient said could be important to his/her present illness. However, after preforming 3 and after receiving guidance from my lab instructor I have realized this is not the case.
  • What is your self-assessment of your current skill in performing a physical exam? Which areas do you feel strongest about/weakest about?
    • I feel very confident when it comes to my skill level in performing a physical exam. I believe I could be better when it comes to timing, I feel as if I go very slow when doing a physical exam. This lack of speed is not due to a lack of understanding, but more so because I like to be thorough. I feel as if one of my greatest strengths regarding performing a physical exam is my technique and the order in which I do things.  
  • Of course, we expect you to get stronger in all areas, but which of the specific areas will you target as needing particular focus in future patient visits when you start the clinical year? 
    • I will continue to focus on mastering my HPI to make it condense but efficient. I will also continue to work on my physical exam within regard to my speed. When it comes to real live patient visits, I believe I need to manage my anxiety and comfortability as well. I believe I have a good grasp of what to do, however sometimes when placed in a real scenario I let my nerves get to me and forget things or make mistakes that I normally would not make.