Self reflection on Rotation 6 FM

I had a great time during my family medicine rotation; I feel as if it was an amazing teaching environment, and I was able to learn a lot. At this rotation I sharpened many different skills such as taking a history, writing a plan, writing an assessment, and how to manage noncompliant patients. I feel as if I gained a lot of experience in my time with the PA whom I followed for most of my time during this rotation. During the visits, I would go interview the patient myself, present to my assigned provider, then write a HPI note. The PA I worked with would then go over my HPI with me telling me what I did well and what still needed to be worked on. I feel like my IM rotation somewhat prepared me for my time in family medicine, because in IM I received a lot of practice when it comes to writing notes. Something that this rotation has showed me that I need to improve on going forward is giving adequate time and attention to all my patient’s medical conditions. I learned that I need to have a drawn-out plan for my patient’s current complaint as well as any current medical conditions. I also learned that I need check the patient’s adherence to their medication and explore why it is they might not be taking it, then discuss alternative options with them. I feel as if my next rotation which is long term care will give me the opportunity to work on a more in depth plan and being able to adjust said plan if adherence is an issue for each one of the patients I see.