Site Evaluation Presentation Summary Rotation 4 Surgery

During my mid site evaluation, I presented a 24-year-old female who was presented to the general surgery clinic complaining of consistent abdominal pain suspicious of cholecystitis, that had been going on for 1 month. When I was presenting this case, I felt very comfortable because I had interviewed the patient thoroughly and I felt as if I knew gastrointestinal issues well after my emergency medicine rotation. During my presentation I outlined different tests I would order to prep the patient for possible cholecystectomy such as pregnancy test, Lipase, CBC, LFT’s, and a type and screen. I also talked about how the patient should be advised to stay away from NSAID’s one week before the surgery to decrease the chances of bleeding during the surgery. For my final site evaluation, I presented a 55-year-old female who had been recently diagnosed with infiltrating ductal carcinoma. I decided to present this case because I felt like it was interesting seeing that the patient had first denied a mastectomy and opted to do multiple lumpectomies. However, after the lumpectomies it was shown that they all had positive margins and therefore a mastectomy was suggested. Like the mid site evaluation, I explained the pre op plan I would give such as making the patient NPO after midnight except blood pressure medications, but to not take diabetes medications the day of the surgery. Again, I would advise to stay away from NSAID’s a week before the surgery, I would also give the patient lovenox for dvt prophylaxis.