Self reflection on rotation 5 IM

I really enjoyed my internal medicine rotation; I feel as if it was an amazing teaching environment, and I was able to learn a lot. At this rotation I sharpened many different skills such as taking an ABG, writing a plan, writing an assessment, and how to efficiently hand off a patient to another provider. I feel as if I gained a lot of experience in my time with the PAs who were working the ED and ETAP. During this time, I would go interview the patient myself, present to my assigned provider, then write a SOAP note. My assigned PA would then go over my SOAP note with me telling me what I did well and what still needed to be worked on. I feel like my ED rotation somewhat prepared me for my time with IM, especially the times when I had to see IM patients in the ED or ETAP because I already had exposure to the emergency department and knew the flow of operations. Something that this rotation has showed me that I need to move on going forward is the thoroughness and precision of my plan for a patient. I learned that I need to have a drawn-out plan for my patient’s current complaint as well as any past medical conditions. I also learned that I need to outline a patient’s directives in my note therefore it is clear to myself as well as any provider that may decide to read my note. I feel as if my next rotation which is family medicine will give me the opportunity to work on a more in depth plan for each one of the patients I see.