Site Evaluation Presentation Summary Rotation 1

During my mid site evaluation, I presented one history and physical. At this time, I was not very familiar with how to set up a psychiatric based history and physical because I was only familiar with how to do this in the medical setting. However, my preceptor worked with me and informed me what different things that needed to be stressed in a psychiatric H&P such as social history, family history, and mental status examination. I also received feedback on how to present and write up a mental status exam, I learned that it is not sufficient to just give a one-word response for each respective section. Instead, one must explain what made them select that option for the respective section of the mental status exam therefore the reader can get a full picture of the patient. This feedback allowed me to make the proper adjustment for my final site evaluation in which I presented another H&P along with my journal article. I believe that I improved on my presentation, however my preceptor gave me feedback informing me that when I am interviewing the patient, I need to ask more questions and delve into their story as if I am “piecing the puzzle together”. After I received this feedback, I understood that in psychiatry this is important because most of the patients are unreliable or unwilling to give the full story therefore delving deeper in questioning is the only way to fully understand the situation of a patient. Even though I am no longer in psychiatry I plan to use this feedback in my future rotations because I believe this is applicable across all fields of medicine.