Self Reflection on Rotation 2 Pediatrics

I really enjoyed my pediatrics rotation at Queens Hospital Center, and I feel like I learned a lot on this rotation. For the first three weeks of my rotation, I was stationed in the pediatric emergency department. Here I got to do things such as place IV’s, venipunctures, and even bedside ultrasound. The providers I worked with in this department were very friendly and helpful when it came to answering my questions and overall making a welcoming environment. For my fourth week I was in the pediatrics clinic, this part of my rotation was less hands on and more observatory. While in this department I observed primary care physicians as well as specialties such cardiology, pulmonology, and endocrinology. Receiving exposure to these different specialties providing me with education on pediatrics from the views of different perspectives. For my last week I was stationed in the neonatal intensive care unit, like the clinic here I mainly observed. During my time in this department, I was able to watch the birthing process and evaluate a newborn through things such as an APGAR score. Overall my rotation was very informative yet fun at the same time, I would however have liked to do more hands on things in the clinic and NICU, but I recognize I am still a student and there will be times when I will not be granted permission to do hands on things.