Self reflection on Rotation 7 LTC

I had an interesting time during my long-term care rotation; I feel as if my preceptor was very down to earth and patient with me within regards to teaching. At this rotation I sharpened different skills such as taking a history, writing a plan, writing an assessment, and how to deal with agitated patients. I feel as if I gained a lot of experience in my time with the NP whom I followed for most of my time during this rotation. During the visits, I would go interview the patient myself, write either a SOAP or monthly note, then review the note with the NP and get feedback on what needed to be improved on. I feel like my family medicine rotation prepared me for my time in long term care, because in family medicine I received a lot of practice when it comes to writing notes as well as managing elderly patients that have a lot of medical conditions. Something that this rotation has showed me that I need to improve on is my pace when it comes to writing notes, I feel as if I can write notes adequately now however, I need to improve on my speed. I also learned that I need to listen to the patient especially the elderly ones because they know their body and most likely know which medications work and which do not work for their conditions. I feel as if my next rotation which is OBGYN care will give me the opportunity to write more notes and perfect my note taking skills while also improving my timing, therefore I am not spending too much time writing a single note that it takes away from my time with other patients.